Here’s a quciky: Department of Post has given “Modernization” contract to Accenture . According to Accenture, it would design an enterprise IT architecture and migrate the Department of Post (DoP) to a more efficient IT system.
The project is designed to help the DoP, which has been reporting losses to drive revenue and regain market share in different services and products such as bill payment, e-posts, life insurance, money transfer and banking. The technology upgrade would also benefit citizens via speedier banking and insurance services, track and trace abilities and would help the postal department to compete effectively with the local and international courier firms. Accenture would also advise DoP on the development of a wide-area network that helps connect all post offices on which various online services can run.
Krishna G V Giri, who leads Accenture’s Management Consulting practice (Health and Public Service operating group) in the Asia Pacific region said,”Armed with efficiency at DoP, the government will be better positioned to share various social schemes, such as Mahatma National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, with even the most remote citizens.”
- – Source: EconomicTimes
With commonwealth games planning that was going on in the last few years, Department of Post earlier mentioned to make use of their unused or rather less used Post Offices turned into WiFi Centers / Cyber Cafe for the tourists. With Post Offices present almost everywhere, I believe it was the right decision. DoP has many IT Services at their disposal :-
- Internal Mail |
- Sahuliyat HelpDesk |
- A Sluggish looking website |
- A Hindi Website (which as all govt. websites requires fonts) which seems not up to date.
- and last but the most important thing – Visibility of Internal/official news to the general public over the website which can ultimately become a security threat or a loop hole.
However I think they have taken a right decision, but why NOW ?
– With so many IT services at their disposal! Why did they loose the opportunity cost of not giving the contract earlier to an experienced organization?
– Obviously with all websites / services being maintained by NIC, it’s quite visible the kind of quality they are delivering – Pathetic.
Its for us to decide, whether we allow our hard-earned and payed as Income Tax to let go loose or not, we can see the govt. utilization at some points and its crystal clear about their mis-utilization.